JPPF Issue Tracker
Please log in to bookmark issues
CLOSED  Bug report JPPF-62  -  Jobs with timeout expire in the client instead of the server
Posted Sep 07, 2012 - updated Dec 27, 2014
icon_info.png This issue has been closed with status "Closed" and resolution "RESOLVED".
Issue details
  • Type of issue
    Bug report
  • Status
  • Assigned to
  • Progress
  • Type of bug
    Not triaged
  • Likelihood
    Not triaged
  • Effect
    Not triaged
  • Posted by
  • Owned by
    Not owned by anyone
  • Category
  • Resolution
  • Priority
  • Reproducability
  • Severity
  • Targetted for
    icon_milestones.png JPPF 3.1.x
Issue description
When setting a timeout on a job (with JPPFJob.getSLA().setExpirationSchedule(new JPPFSchedule(duration))), the balancer may cause the job to expire if it remains too long in the queue on the client side. This may happen if many jobs are submitted when there is a server connection pool of size 1 for instance.
Steps to reproduce this issue
  • configure the client with a single server connection and local execution disabled
  • submit many non-blocking jobs with an expiration timeout and at least 1 task that will last longer than the timeout
  • only the first job will expire properly in the server, the others remaining in the client's queue will expire there

Comment posted by
Sep 07, 21:16
I'm proposing 2 fixing strategies:

  1. In v3.1.3 we simply disable expiration on the client side
  2. In v3.2 we add an SLA attribute for the expiration on th client side and document it appropriately. I will add a feature request for this.
Comment posted by
Sep 09, 08:22
Fixed in branch b3.1: SVN revision 2369

Trunk fix is dependent on Enhancement JPPF-63 - Add a separate job SLA for processing on the client side
Comment posted by
Sep 12, 20:56
Fixed in trunk: revision 2374.

The issue was updated with the following change(s):
  • This issue has been closed
  • The status has been updated, from New to Closed.
  • This issue's progression has been updated to 100 percent completed.
  • The resolution has been updated, from Not determined to RESOLVED.
  • Information about the user working on this issue has been changed, from lolo4j to Not being worked on.